A RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM TO IMPROVE INSHORE MANEUVERING, MOORING, AND DOCKING CAPABILITIES OF SUPERTANKERS
The study covered by this report was conducted to investigate the current and future capabilities of very large crude carriers to transport energy fuel between world-wide supply and demand points with maximum efficiency and with minimum probability of hazard to the environment. The analysis reveals a discouraging downward trend in the capability of these ships to control their maneuvers in restricted waters with a concomitant increase in the probability of collisions, strandings and rammings which can result in excessive operating costs and inestimable damage to the marine environment. The factors involved in the degradation of self-control of large ships have been analyzed in detail with the conclusion that drastic steps are necessary to upgrade maneuvering performance capability. From this analysis and review has evolved a research and development program aimed at demonstrating what can be accomplished in the way of improved capability of control in a supertanker currently scheduled for construction. The program has been specifically tailored to the installation of sensors, control, and powering equipment in this ship, conducting a test and evaluation program to show how the inshore maneuvering capability will be upgraded, and proving conclusively the cost performance benefits that can be realized.
- This is a report of a study performed by Robert Taggert Inc. for the NMRC at Kings Point, New York.
Taggart (Robert) Incorporated3930 Walnut Street
Fairfax, VA United States 22030
- Taggart, R
- Publication Date: 1973-2
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Braking; Maneuverability; Maneuvering; Ship pilotage; Steering gears; Supertankers; Tanker shipping
- Old TRIS Terms: Restricted water operation; Tanker braking systems
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00050307
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: United States Merchant Marine Academy
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM