A CRITICAL REVIEW OF "THE ECONOMIC EFFECTS OF THE CLOSURE OF THE SUEZ CANAL"
A critical review of a study that was performed by the UNCTAD Secretariat entitled. "The Economic Effects of the Closure of the Suez Canal", is given. Areas of increased shipping costs that resulted from the closing of the Suez Canal that are reviewed in this paper include: longer hauls, increased tanker investment, value of the ships and cargo trapped in the Canal, increased cost of commercial credit, and several other areas. The paper reviews the increased cost figures given by the UNCTAD Secretariat, comments on them, and offers revised cost figures based on new criteria. The author concludes that the increased cost figures given by the UNCTAD Secretariat are exaggerated, and states that the revised figures given in his review are closer to the actual figures.
Denver UniversityGraduate School of International Studies
Denver, CO USA 80210
- Abrahamson, B J
- Publication Date: 1973-8
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 34 p.
- TRT Terms: Canals; Economic analysis; Economics; Interoceanic canals; Shipping; Statistics; Trade
- Old TRIS Terms: Shipping economics; Trade diversion; Trade statistics
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Economics; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00050306
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: United States Merchant Marine Academy
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1974 12:00AM