THIS REPORT OF THE HIGHWAY RESEARCH BOARD RECORDS CURRENT PRACTICES IN THE DEVELOPMENT, OPERATION, AND MAINTENANCE OF REST AREAS, AND PRESENTS GUIDELINES THAT PAST EXPERIENCES SUGGEST WILL PRODUCE, IN MOST INSTANCES, GENERALLY ACCEPTABLE FULFILLMENT OF MOTORIST REQUIREMENTS. THE SELECTION OF SUCH INDIVIDUAL ITEMS AS SPACING, LOCATION, SIZE, PARKING FACILITIES, BUILDINGS, CONVENIENCE CENTERS, WATER SUPPLY, SEWAGE DISPOSAL, TOGETHER WITH OPERATION AND MAINTENACE, ARE DISCUSSED. IT WAS FELT THAT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WAS NEEDED IN THE AREAS OF: (1) AN OPERATIONS AND DESIGN MANUAL; (2) HOW TO ACHIEVE WATER QUALITY STANDARDS SET FOR 1983; (3) INTERGOVERNMENTAL COORDINATION; (4) TRAFFIC COUNTING REST AREAS; (5) PROVISION FOR ADDITIONAL SERVICES AT THE REST AREAS.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/05475570
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1973
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 33 p.
- NCHRP Synthesis of Highway Practice
- Issue Number: 20
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0547-5570
- TRT Terms: Location; Maintenance; Manuals; Parking regulations; Roadside rest areas; Sewage disposal; Sewage treatment; Size; Spacing; Traffic counting; Water quality
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00205264
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Apr 11 1976 12:00AM