POSSIBILITIES OF THE USE OF THE VHF-TRANSCEIVER AS A TRANSPONDER IN TRAFFIC SURVEILLANCE SYSTEMS
At present traffic surveillance is mainly operated with primary radar systems, the identification task being fulfilled by the radar controller by way of constant observation of the display unit in conjunction with conducting the radio telephone communications. The position of the ship is determined by evaluation by the land station of the unmodulated transmission signal radiated by the radio set. Position-finding is possible with an unmodified radio set, if, following a request via radio telephone, an operator on board the ship presses the transmitting key. It is possible to automate the position-finding process without major expenditure by effecting some alterations at the radio set. The above position-finding procedure within the 2 m-range is described and examined more closely as to its efficiency and to two possible ways of using it for the purposes of traffic surveillance and/or as navigational aid, respectively. A description is given of the measuring errors to be expected as a function of the location of landbased DF-stations.
- Presented at the April 25-27, 1973 Seattle RTCM Assembly Meeting. Volume 1--Papers A thru E, Maritime Satellite Telecommunications Activity; Volume 2--Papers F thru L, Maritime Antennas, Personnel, and ITU Conference Activity; Volume 3--Papers M thru R, Systems Approaches to Maritime Telecommunications; Volume 4--Papers S thru Y, Navigation and Position Fixing in Maritime Telecommunications. Sold only as a complete four volume set--$10.00 per set.
Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services/Federal Communications Commission
Washington, DC USA 20554
- Haase, H J
- Publication Date: 1973-4
- Pagination: 10 p.
- Volume: 4
- TRT Terms: Harbors; Position fixing; Radar; Radar beacons; Radar beacons; Radar displays
- Old TRIS Terms: Harbor advisory radar; Position finding; Radar plotting
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00050275
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper 104-73/DO-73
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM