HATRIC--A MULTIFUNCTION SYSTEM FOR NAVIGATION AND SURVEILLANCE IN RIVERS AND HARBORS
A new navigation aid system having the high accuracy needed in narrow waterways is being developed under the USCG River and Harbor Aid to Navigation System (RIHANS) program. This paper describes the RIHANS approach developed by RCA Corporation, one of the three contractors on this program. A key feature of this approach is that it not only satisfies the RIHANS requirements for ship self-position fixing relative to fixed reference stations but also can easily be expanded to provide functions needed by the associated Vessel Traffic System. These additional functions permit the reference stations to obtain position fixes on all equipped ships, to identify them, and to have two way digital message communication with them. This expanded system is called HATRIC, for Harbor Traffic Ranging, Identification, and Communications.
- Presented at the April 25-27, 1973 Seattle RTCM Assembly Meeting. Volume 1--Papers A thru E, Maritime Satellite Telecommunications Activity; Volume 2--Papers F thru L, Maritime Antennas, Personnel, and ITU Conference Activity; Volume 3--Papers M thru R, Systems Approaches to Maritime Telecommunications; Volume 4--Papers S thru Y, Navigation and Position Fixing in Maritime Telecommunications. Sold only as a complete four volume set--$10.00 per set.
Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services/Federal Communications Commission
Washington, DC United States 20554
- Jellinek, E
- Publication Date: 1973-4
- Pagination: 14 p.
- Volume: 4
- TRT Terms: Harbor traffic control; Harbors; Navigational aids; Position fixing; Radar
- Old TRIS Terms: Harbor advisory radar; Position finding
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00050273
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper 104-73/DO-73
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM