MARINE RADIO PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATIONS
The Exxon Fleet of oil and gas carriers is one of the largest privately operated fleets in the world, and the multiple tasks inherent in efficiently operating this fleet require effective and reliable communications between the fleet and shore management. In turn, this demands that the fleet be equipped with the most modern and reliable marine radio equipment available. Although Exxon is a firm believer in the concept and desirability of a viable marine satellite communication system, some years elapse before such a satellite system is deployed and capable of completely replacing the present radio communications system. Therefore, Exxon has generated a completely new in-house standard to ensure that existing and near-future Exxon-operated vessels are supplied with the necessary modern and reliable equipment. This standard, "Specifications for owner-supplied marine radio equipment" is discussed in detail, together with an explanation of the various decision parameters that were used. By making this standard available to the shipping community at large, it is hoped that other owners and operators will join Exxon in influencing manufacturers to effectively provide the high-performance communication equipment required by our industry.
- Presented at the April 25-27, 1973 Seattle RTCM Assembly Meeting. Volume 1--Papers A thru E, Maritime Satellite Telecommunications Activity; Volume 2--Papers F thru L, Maritime Antennas, Personnel, and ITU Conference Activity; Volume 3--Papers M thru R, Systems Approaches to Maritime Telecommunications; Volume 4--Papers S thru Y, Navigation and Position Fixing in Maritime Telecommunications. Sold only as a complete four volume set--$10.00 per set.
Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services/Federal Communications Commission
Washington, DC USA 20554
- King, D W
- Publication Date: 1973-4
- Pagination: 12 p.
- Volume: 3
- TRT Terms: Communication devices; Communication systems; Radio; Radio equipment; Radio navigation
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00050267
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper 103-73/DO-72
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM