A SINGLE MF-HF-VHF MARINE ANTENNA
Most people will agree with the following problem areas affecting marine communication: 1. Short vertical antennas customarily used on boats are notoriously inefficient radiators; 2. Shipboard electrical interference seriously curtails receiver performance; 3. Technicians time and cost for installation and adjustment of a multi-channel antenna coupler is substantial; 4. Available space aboard most vessels limits the choice and number of antennas that can be fitted effectively. In the past the power output of the transmitter could be increased in an attempt to overcome problem 1. With present day multi-channel SSB transmitters the cost of increasing transmitter power is proportionately higher than it was, and not always practical, particularly if solid state construction is adhered to. Increasing the power of a 100 watt transmitter by means of a 1 kw linear amplifier can well exceed $5,000.00 for a power gain of x 10. In a majority of cases the same power gain can be accomplished by increasing the efficiency of the antenna at a small fraction of the cost of a linear amplifier. At the same time an improved antenna can also provide acceptable solutions to problems 2, 3, and 4.
- Presented at the April 25-27, 1973 Seattle RTCM Assembly Meeting. Volume 1--Papers A thru E, Maritime Satellite Telecommunications Activity; Volume 2--Papers F thru L, Maritime Antennas, Personnel, and ITU Conference Activity; Volume 3--Papers M thru R, Systems Approaches to Maritime Telecommunications; Volume 4--Papers S thru Y, Navigation and Position Fixing in Maritime Telecommunications. Sold only as a complete four volume set--$10.00 per set.
Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services/Federal Communications Commission
Washington, DC United States 20554
- Spilsbury, A J
- Publication Date: 1973-4
- Pagination: 14 p.
- Volume: 2
- TRT Terms: Antennas; Radio equipment; Radio signals
- Old TRIS Terms: Antenna signal measurement; Antenna systems
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00050259
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper 102-73/DO-71
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM