ACCESS CONTROL FOR MARSAT
In implementing the Maritime Satellite System (MARSAT), there will be the problem of developing the optimum access control concept. A number of access control techniques are considered and a comparative analysis conducted to select the "best" concept for a particular set of requirements and decision criteria. The communication traffic analysis used in this study is a composite taken from several requirements analyses conducted to date. The results of the Automated Marine International Study for the Coast Guard (Coast Guard Contract DOT-CG-00505A) was essentially the source document for the requirements postulated for 1980. The general characteristics of a number of candidate techniques are developed in the MARSAT application. The selection of a "best solution" to the MARSAT access control problem is based on comparative judgement of qualitative measures. These measures are particularly the user terminal impact in terms of the hardware and workload impact of the user. Additional considerations unique to each technique considered have been commented on and used in making the final judgement.
- Presented at the April 25-27, 1973 Seattle RTCM Assembly Meeting. Volume 1--Papers A thru E, Maritime Satellite Telecommunications Activity; Volume 2--Papers F thru L, Maritime Antennas, Personnel, and ITU Conference Activity; Volume 3--Papers M thru R, Systems Approaches to Maritime Telecommunications; Volume 4--Papers S thru Y, Navigation and Position Fixing in Maritime Telecommunications. Sold only as a complete four volume set--$10.00 per set.
Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services/Federal Communications Commission
Washington, DC USA 20554
- Shoushanian, G
- Brich, J N
- Publication Date: 1973-4
- Pagination: 12 p.
- Volume: 1
- TRT Terms: Communication devices; Communications satellites; Communications traffic; Satellite communication
- Old TRIS Terms: Radio traffic loads
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00050257
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper 101-73/DO-70
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM