SHIPBOARD COMMUNICATIONS EXPERIMENTS VIA SATELLITE
The most singularly important aspect of the Maritime Administration's "Experimental Maritime Satellite Navigation/Communication System" program is an assessment of the operational benefits to be derived by the shipping companies. This paper will concentrate on "user" oriented experiments, which will attempt to measure or project the potential benefits to the maritime industry in terms of improved ship transportation operations and economic gains. The types of operational experiments being conducted include: Business, operation, such as payrolls and inventories; Weather data experiments; Simulated emergency experiments; and operational experiments--cargo loading, ship stability, rescheduling and/or rerouting. Three of the user experiments being performed will be described in some detail, and include: Individual company procedures for participating and evaluating the experiment; problem areas or results which may have been obtained to date; and potential benefits to be derived by the shipping companies on an operational basis.
- Presented at the April 25-27, 1973 Seattle RTCM Assembly Meeting. Volume 1--Papers A thru E, Maritime Satellite Telecommunications Activity; Volume 2--Papers F thru L, Maritime Antennas, Personnel, and ITU Conference Activity; Volume 3--Papers M thru R, Systems Approaches to Maritime Telecommunications; Volume 4--Papers S thru Y, Navigation and Position Fixing in Maritime Telecommunications. Sold only as a complete four volume set--$10.00 per set.
Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services/Federal Communications Commission
Washington, DC USA 20554
- Feigelson, H A
- Rebman, J A
- Publication Date: 1973-4
- Pagination: 15 p.
- Volume: 1
- TRT Terms: Artificial satellites; Communication systems; Communications satellites; Economic analysis; Satellite communication
- Old TRIS Terms: Economic analysis (Satellite systems)
- Subject Areas: Economics; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00050254
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper 101-73/DO-70
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1974 12:00AM