OPERATIONAL PLANS OF AN EXPERIMENTAL MARITIME SATELLITE COMMUNICATION AND NAVIGATION (MARSCAN) SYSTEM
The U.S. Department of Commerce, Maritime Administration (MarAd) is developing new systems, techniques and facilities for improving U.S. maritime operations in the area of reliable two way ship/shore communications and navigation through the use of earth satellites. MarAd's "Maritime Satellite Navigation/Communication Program", initiated in 1970, is presently involved with the operation of an experimental satellite system in which a ground station and coordination center located at the National Maritime Research Center, Kings Point, N.Y. will exchange communication and navigation signals with ten ships at sea via two NASA satellites. The experimental system represents one segment of a world-wide configuration, e.g., one ground station/coordination center and two satellites in synchronous equatorial orbits that provide coverage of portions of the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, including an area of over-lapping coverage where navigation or position determination experiments can be conducted along with communications. The basic functions which will be exercised during this experimental phase will be ship and shore two-way real time or near real time digital communications and position determination of the ships equipped with MarAd's terminals.
- Presented at the April 25-27, 1973 Seattle RTCM Assembly Meeting. Volume 1--Papers A thur E, Maritime Satellite Telecommunications Activity; Volume 2--Papers F thur L, Maritime Antennas, Personnel, and ITU Conference Activity; Volume 3--Papers M thur R, Systems Approaches to Maritime Telecommunications; Volume 4--Papers S thur Y, Navigation and Position Fixing in Maritime Telecommunications. Sold only as a complete four volume set--$10.00 per set.
Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services/Federal Communications Commission
Washington, DC United States 20554
- Mitchell, M W
- Thoma, G R
- Puglisi, J J
- Publication Date: 1973-4
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 16 p.
- Volume: 1
- TRT Terms: Communication systems; Communications satellites; Electronic navigation; Satellite communication
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00050253
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper 101-73/DO-70
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM