INTERPRETATIONS OF THE "ESSO NORWAY" STATIC TESTS
Although measured strains and derived stresses were occasionally randomly different from expected (theoretical) values, their resolution into gross forces across plate sections (especially shear forces) displayed reasonable consistency. Thus it was possible to get from this very large-scale prototype experimental series a reliable set of conclusions about usual design techniques and hypotheses, either confirming them or suggesting modifications. This was done without in any way damaging structure. In addition, the experiments contain much information on methods of conducting and analyzing such full-scale experimental work.
- Presented at Annual Meeting of SNAME, New York, 15-17 November 1973.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- Schade, H A
- Publication Date: 1973-11
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 21 p.
- Issue Number: 12
- TRT Terms: Deflection; Hulls; Instrumentation; Nondestructive tests; Plates (Engineering); Structural analysis; Tankers; Transverse strength
- Old TRIS Terms: Hull instrumentation; Plate deflections; Tanker structural analysis
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00050249
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM