ECONOMIC COMPARISON OF VARIOUS MARINE POWER PLANTS
This paper is based on the results of two Maritime Administration sponsored studies. The paper compares the annual operating costs of various fossil fuel fired marine power plants. Included in the total operating costs are acquisition and financing costs, fuel oil costs, maintenance and repair costs, lubricating oil costs, crew-related expenses, and insurance costs. The first section of the paper presents the results of the study entitled "Power Plant Evaluation." The costs included in this study were obtained by compiling appropriate information from available reports and modifying the data to reflect plant differences and effects of inflation. Where sufficient data were unavailable, efforts were made to estimate the operating costs of the appropriate power plants. The costs included in this part of the paper are based on January 1971 prices. The second section of the paper presents the results of the study entitled "Combined Gas-Steam Turbine Marine Propulsion Cycles." This study was undertaken after the results of the power plant evaluation study showed that combined-cycle power plants might be competitive at high powers. In undertaking this study it was decided to develop eight combined gas-steam turbine power plants and to pursue an in-depth analysis of the operating costs of each plant. The costs included in this part of the paper are based on January 1972 prices.
- Presented at Annual Meeting of SNAME, New York, 15-17 November 1973.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- Femenia, J
- Publication Date: 1973-11
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 27 p.
- Issue Number: 2
- TRT Terms: Economic analysis; Economics; Electric power plants; Gas turbines; Operating costs; Propulsion; Vehicle power plants
- Old TRIS Terms: Economic analysis (Propulsion systems); Power plant economics
- Subject Areas: Economics; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00050239
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM