MARINE STEAM POWER PLANT HEAT BALANCE PRACTICES
The purpose of this bulletin is to set forth data and practices for marine steam power plant heat balance calculations and diagrams. This bulletin is specifically applicable to oil fired steam turbine marine power plants at maximum continuous power, but with suitable modifications it can be used for other service ratings, other types of fuels, prime movers and auxiliary equipment. This bulletin includes data, practices, diagrams, symbols, abbreviations and forms for checking calculations. Every effort has been made to keep this bulletin as reasonable and fair as possible and close to the general practice of the industry, without curtailing individual initiative. When in the development of a design, specific data for the particular application becomes available, these data should be used in preference to the data given herein. An example calculation is performed, including the completion of the heat balance and flow diagram and a standard check sheet. Also included are blank forms that are presented as transparencies and perforated for easy removal and duplication. Similar Bulletins are currently being prepared by Panel M-15 covering marine diesel and gas turbine power plants thus affording the ship designer or ship owner an impartial basis to evaluate various types of propulsion systems.
- See also T&R Bulletin 3-17, "Recommended Practices for Correcting Steam Power Plant Trial".
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- Holm, J T
- Stott Jr, C W
- Publication Date: 1972-2
- Pagination: 127 p.
- TRT Terms: Electric power plants; Heat balance; Steam power plants; Structural design
- Old TRIS Terms: Power plant design; Steam plant efficiency
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00050230
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: T&R Bulletin 3-11
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM