BOW BULBS FOR SLOW, FULL-FORM SHIPS
This unusually complete paper clearly and simply explains the mechanism by which the bulbous bow reduces drag on fullform tankers in ballast condition. The Bulletin compares the results of a number of model tests conducted to determine an average reduction in resistance due to the addition of a bow bulb with full-scale operational powering data on a number of ships collected prior to their drydocking for the addition of a bow bulb, and similar data collected from the ships after their conversion. In addition, parameters for effective bow bulb design are indicated as well as data on their sensitivity to weather conditions and their overall economic significance.
- Translated for Panel H-5 (Analytical Ship Wave Relations) of Hydrodynamics Committee.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- Eckert, E
- Sharma, S D
- Publication Date: 1973-5
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 67 p.
- TRT Terms: Bows; Bulk carriers; Tankers; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ship design
- Old TRIS Terms: Bulbous bows; Model testing
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00050228
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: T&R Bulletin 1-33
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM