HULL STRESSES IN BULK CARRIERS IN THE GREAT LAKES & GULF OF ST. LAWRENCE WAVE ENVIRONMENT
The Society's Technical and Research Program in cooperation with the Eastern Candian Section and Great Lakes and Great Rivers Section presented this symposium as part of its on-going research program to collect and record hull stress data and associated wave spectra. The program began some six years earlier when the Society's Hull Structure Committee initiated a significant effort to simultaneously measure hull stresses and accompany sea states encountered by the 730' ore carrier Edward L. Ryerson during its regular operation. Four years of data have been collected and are summarized in two Technical and Research Bulletins, No. 2-17 "Wave Climate Study, Great Lakes and Gulf of St. Lawrence" and No. 2-18 "Seaway Stresses Observed Aboard the Great Lakes Bulk Ore Carrier Edward L. Ryerson (1965-1968)," which are available from the Society. This symposium has provided the focal point for analysis and interpretation of this data along with a review of new programs, including ship model tests undertaken for the analysis of ore carriers up to 1000' in length. This report contains the thirteen papers presented at the symposium along with comments and discussion by participants following each presentation.
- Technical and Research Symposium S-2. Presented in cooperation with the Eastern Candian Section and the Great Lakes and Great Rivers Section, July 21-23, 1971, at the Chateau Laurier Hotel, Ottawa, Canada.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Publication Date: 1971-7
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 436 p.
- TRT Terms: Electromagnetic spectrum; Hulls; Seakeeping; Ship motion; Technology; Water waves; Wave measurement
- Old TRIS Terms: Hull springing; Hull wave interaction
- Subject Areas: Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00050227
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM