BASIC RESEARCH IN CRASHWORTHINESS. II. STRUCTURAL MODIFICATIONS OF SUBCOMPACT CARS FOR FRONTAL IMPACTS
The study investigated the structural crashworthiness of a subcompact passenger vehicle. The investigation was limited to the frontal structure in both pole barrier and car-to-car impacts. Front structure modifications were designed, fabricated and tested. Experimental data thus obtained were compared with the corresponding data from similar tests using the unmodified production vehicle. The Chevrolet Vega was utilized as the test vehicle for this investigation. Single vehicle tests consisted of one base line (unmodified) and two modified Vegas impacted at a nominal speed of 60 MPH into a 12.75 inch diameter pole barrier. Two-vehicle tests consisted of one base line Vega and two modified Vegas each impacted head-on into an unmodified 1969 Ford at a speed of 40 MPH for each vehicle (i.e., a closing speed of 80 MPH). Most of the crash tests included, as an effort secondary to the structural improvement endeavor, simulated front seat occupants and either active or passive restraint systems. This secondary effort was intended to provide data on the functional characteristics of belt and air cushion restraint systems at the relatively high impact speeds of these tests.
- See also report dated Feb 72, PB-213 439.
Calspan Corporation4455 Genesee Street
Buffalo, NY USA 14225
- Ryder, MOJ
- Publication Date: 1973-6
- Pagination: 238 p.
- TRT Terms: Air bags; Automobiles; Collisions; Crash injury research; Crashworthiness; Design; Impact tests; Research; Safety engineering; Structural analysis; Subcompact automobiles
- Identifier Terms: Chevrolet automobile
- Uncontrolled Terms: Structural properties
- Old TRIS Terms: Chevrolet vega automobiles; Nhsb; Subcompact cars
- Subject Areas: Design; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00050146
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CALSPAN-YB-2987-V-10Intrm Rpt
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-7622
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: Dec 13 1973 12:00AM