BILGE VORTICES ALONG A SERIES-60 MODEL
By measuring the velocity components by means of a five-hole directional probe, the secondary flow in the transverse plane at the stern of a series-60 double model was investigated and shows the presence of a vortex. The drag induced by the bilge vortices is estimated to be equal to about two percent of the surface drag. The streamlines in the bow region are determined and permit one to conclude that the spiral motion which eventually develops into vortices begins at the bow. It is suggested that the influence of the shape of the bow on the flow pattern in the bow region be further investigated. ( Author )
University of Iowa, Iowa CityIowa City, IA USA 52242
- Tatinclaux, Jean-Claude
- Publication Date: 1969-7
- Pagination: 16 p.
- TRT Terms: Bilges; Vortices
- Old TRIS Terms: Bilge vortices
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00001890
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Defense Documentation Center
- Report/Paper Numbers: IIHR-117 Tech Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NONR161105
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 30 1970 12:00AM