CONSIDERATIONS ON THE CENTRES OF SHEAR AND OF TWIST IN THE THEORY OF BEAMS
The first object is to show that coincidence of the centers of twist and of shear may be taken to be no more than a natural consequence of a reasonable formulation of the problems of torsion and of flexure in the theory of beams. The second object is to show that an explicit, approximate determination of the location of these centers may be based on the Saint-Venant solutions of the problems of torsion and flexure (which by themselves are known to leave these centers arbitrary), in conjunction with a direct-methods-of-the-calculus-of-variations-type use of the principle of minimum complementary energy.
- Supersedes AD-728 419. Availability: Pub. in Continuum Mechanics and Related Problems of Analysis, p403-408 1972.
University of California, San DiegoSan Diego, CA USA
- Reissner, E
- Tsai, W T
- Publication Date: 1972
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Beams; Calculus of variations; Elasticity (Mechanics); Flexural strength; Shear stress; Torsion
- Old TRIS Terms: Beams (Structural); Shear stresses
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00048318
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Contract Numbers: N00014-69-A-0200-602
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM