HITCHHIKING-A VIABLE ADDITION TO A MULTIMODAL TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM
Data are presented on interviews with public officials and four surveys: (a) a general survey of 195 representative citizens; (b) police; (c) current hitchhikers; and (d) participants in the Fort Collins Community Car Pool (a prototype hitchhiking system). Data were obtained on the percentage of current hitchhikers (19%), drivers who pick up hitchhikers (31%), percent who ever hitchhiked or picked up hitchhikers (43%) (52%), social characteristics, crime statistics, ways of hitchhiking, opinions on the legal status of hitchhiking, and possible increased participation if certain reforms were made. Recommendations were (a) legalization of hitchhiking; (b) establishment of a voluntary system for registering hitchhikers; and (c) designation of hitchhiking areas along streets and highways where cars safely can pull over and stop.
University of Colorado, DenverCenter for Urban Transportation Studies, 1100 14th Street
Denver, CO United States 80202
National Science FoundationStudent-Originated Studies Program
Washington, DC United States 20550
- Dallmeyer, K E
- Publication Date: 1975-3
- Pagination: 166 p.
- TRT Terms: Attitudes; Carpools; Crimes; Culture (Social sciences); Data collection; Interviewing; Legal factors; Legislation; Methodology; Multimodal transportation; Passenger transportation; Police; Regulations; Social factors; Social values; Statistical analysis; Surveys; Traffic safety; Transportation; Transportation operations; Transportation planning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Expert opinion; Hitchhiking; Transportation management
- Old TRIS Terms: Social characteristics
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Law; Planning and Forecasting; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00091880
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NSF-GY-11486
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 10 1976 12:00AM