MOPEDS AND THE AUSTRALIAN USER PROFILE
Moped definition, the regulation of moped use, and major moped safety issues are reviewed, followed by a profile of Australian moped users. Pilot surveys conducted in 1979 tested questionnaire designs and obtained initial data on the characteristics of moped purchasers in Victoria and Western Australia; a survey in South Australia covered all registered moped users. Survey results encompass personal characteristics of moped users, vehicle ownership and access, licenses held, vehicle make and model and reasons for purchase, effects of moped ownership on travel, distances traveled, accident involvement, and rider attitudes (perception of the moped, moped regulations, riding habits). The effect of reducing insurance and registration fees and lowering the licensing age on moped use and accident involvement in Australia is examined. From the surveys conducted in the three Australian states, moped owners are likely to be male, from any age group (the average age of owners being highly dependent on minimum license age), and perceiving the moped as a necessary means of economical transport. Annual moped travel is about 2300 km. (1400 mi.) and risk of accident involvement is low. Further examination of accident patterns is recommended as a guide for future research and regulatory changes.
- Published in HS-031 132, "International Motorcycle Safety Conference Proceedings. Volume 4: Supplementary Papers," Linthicum, Maryland, 1980, pp 1641-99. Conference held in Washington, D.C., 18-23 May 1980.
ARRBMelbourne, Victoria Australia
Department of Transport, AustraliaOffice of Road Safety, P.O. Box 111
Dickson, A.C.T. 2602, Australia
- WIGAN, M R
- Carter, A J
- Publication Date: 1980
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 59 p.
- TRT Terms: Crashes; Data collection; Hazards; Males; Moped drivers; Mopeds; Regulations; Risk assessment; Safety; Surveys
- Old TRIS Terms: User characteristics
- Subject Areas: Law; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00369695
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-031 142
- Files: HSL, ATRI, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 31 1983 12:00AM