MARINE INDEX BUREAU (MIB) CASUALTY DATA (ANALYSIS)
The MIB is the only commercial depository for illness and injury data for personnel of the U.S. merchant marine and affiliated industries. It assists member companies with statistical analyses for their accident and illness prevention and safety programs, and in complying with the law which imposes upon them the non-delegable duty of warranting the seaworthiness of each member of the crew. By reciprocal arrangement, Bureau members have the benefit of the records maintained by the Index System of the American Insurance Association, which covers all non-maritime claims throughout the country. Participants include all American- flag steamship owners and operators, most operators on the Great Lakes and inland waterways, stevedores, shipyards, the Military Sealift Command, MarAd, and others in offshore oil and affiliated industries. The cumulative data are stored on individual seafarers in a single record. The cost of maintaining the system is born by member companies. The Bureau issues annual statistical analyses, including a list of the type of illness, the status of the seaman afflicted, a tabulation of illness and injury incidence by age groups, and summaries of types of accidents; and a summary comparison of illnesses and injuries involving seagoing and longshore personnel. They also publish various cumulative reports. For example, Statistical Analysis 69 is a 27-year summary comparison of totals of percentages of illnesses and injuries reported to the bureau during 1951-1977. Statistical Analysis 70 is a 5-year comparative analysis of percentages of reports received by the Bureau during 1973-1977 relating to seamen employed aboard oceangoing U.S.-flag ships and Navy contract tankers.
- For information, call (212) 269-1200.
Marine Index Bureau Incorporated17 Battery Place
New York, NY United States 10004
- Publication Date: 0
- TRT Terms: Casualties; Crash data; Crashes; Fatalities; Information systems; Occupational safety; Prevention; Safety; Statistics
- Old TRIS Terms: Casualty data; Crew safety; Maritime information systems; Personnel casualties; Personnel safety
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Education and Training; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00187084
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: MTRB Panel on Merchant Marine Casualty Data
- Report/Paper Numbers: Data base
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 3 1978 12:00AM