EVALUATION OF CLEARVIEW ALPHABET WITH MICROPRISMATIC RETROREFLECTIVE SHEETINGS
This project was conducted to determine the legibility of the Clearview alphabet on freeway guide signs constructed with microprismatic retroreflective sheeting. The Clearview legibility results were compared to the legibility of freeway guide signs constructed with the Series E (Modified) alphabet. Also included in the analysis were legibility distances of freeway guide signs constructed with Type III sheeting. A total of 60 subjects divided into three age groups participated in this nighttime study. The findings indicate that the Clearview alphabet provides statistically longer legibility distances than the Series E (Modified) alphabet. The findings also show that microprismatic sheeting provides statistically longer legibility distances than Type III sheeting. Sequentially, the differences between Type III guide signs with Series E (Modified) legends, microprismatic guide signs with Series E (Modified) legends, and microprismatic guide signs with Clearview legends were modest. However, the combined effect of switching from Type III guide signs with Series E (Modified) legends to microprismatic guide signs with Clearview legends was noteworthy. For overhead signs, the combined effect resulted in an overall mean legibility distance improvement of 70 ft, or 11.9%. For shoulder-mounted guide signs, the improvement was 74 ft, or 12.0%. Furthermore, the largest legibility distance improvements of the Clearview alphabet were associated with older drivers.
- Record URL:
- Research Project Title: Evaluation of Clearview Alphabet with Super High Intensity Prismatic Sheeting. Published: August 2001; Resubmitted: October 2001.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Austin, TX United States 78763-5051
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Carlson, P J
- Publication Date: 2001-10
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 88 p.
- TRT Terms: Age groups; Aged drivers; Guide signs; Legibility; Lettering; Retroreflectivity; Sign sheeting
- Uncontrolled Terms: Alphabets; Microprismatic retroreflective sheeting
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; Society; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00824649
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-02/4049-1,, Research Report 4049-1,, TTI: 0-4049
- Contract Numbers: Project No. 0-4049
- Files: NTL, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Feb 25 2002 12:00AM