EVALUATION OF NEW PAVEMENT TECHNOLOGIES IN NEVADA
The performance of the PG-graded binders with Hveem mixtures throughout Nevada indicated that in the majority of the cases the Superpave PG grading system alone is not fully capable of accurately identifying the potential performance of polymer-modified binders under Nevada's traffic, materials, and environmental conditions. On several cases the PG grading system indicated that a potential problem may arise from the use of the polymer-modified binder in the Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA) mixture while field performance proved otherwise. In light of the field performance data that have been developed on the use of PG grading system with Hveem mixtures, it is recommended that any implementation of the Superpave PG grading system in Nevada should be accompanied with specific requirements on the use of polymer modification process. These requirements can be in terms of dictating the percent and/or type of polymer to be used. Recognizing that the Superpave PG grading system was originally developed for neat asphalt binders, this approach will allow the Nevada Department of Transportation to implement the Superpave PG grading while other research efforts are being conducted to make it more compatible with polymer-modified binders.
- Record URL:
- Date on documentation page: February 2003; Date on cover: July 2003.
University of Nevada, RenoDepartment of Civil Engineering
Reno, NV United States 89557
Nevada Department of Transportation1263 South Stewart Street
Carson City, NV United States 89712
- Sebaaly, P E
- Bazi, G M
- Vivekanathan, Y
- Publication Date: 2003-2
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 51 p.
- TRT Terms: Hot mix asphalt; Pavement performance; Performance based specifications; Polymer asphalt; Superpave; Technological innovations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Hveem mix design
- Geographic Terms: Nevada
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Pavements; I22: Design of Pavements, Railways and Guideways; I23: Properties of Road Surfaces;
- Accession Number: 00962169
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: RDT-03-037,, Interim Report,, Report No. 13AX-1
- Contract Numbers: P021-00-803
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Aug 25 2003 12:00AM