STANDARDS FOR THE USE OF INLAND WATERWAYS BY RECREATIONAL CRAFT: REPORT OF WORKING GROUP NO. 8 OF THE PERMANENT COMMISSION FOR SPORT AND RECREATIONAL NAVIGATION
The Permanent Commission for Sport and Recreational Navigation of the International Navigation Association set up Working Group No. 8 to survey the dimensions of boats adapted for sport and recreational navigation, such as length, beam, draught, and air draught, and to establish the relationships between boat dimensions and waterway characteristics, such as width, water depth, and available headroom under bridges. Their investigations led to the suggestion that the existing classification of European waterways of November 1992 could be extended by three categories to cover all waterways smaller than those of Class I dimensions: RA--small open boats, canoes, and rowing boats; RB--medium size cabin cruisers and sailing boats; and RC--large motor yachts. Following the selection of boat categories, this report outlines recommendations that were made for waterway dimensions. The report also elaborates on desirability and dimensions of infrastructural provisions, such as locks and bridges, guide walls, and height of power lines. The suggested categories could well prove useful by ensuring that future infrastructure planning, by referring to these standards, takes more fully into account the economic and social importance of recreational use of inland waters.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/2872231153
- Supplement to Bulletin No. 103.
International Navigation AssociationGraaf de Ferraris-gebouw, Boulevard du Roi Albert II 20, Box 3
B-1000 Brussels, Belgium
- Publication Date: 2000-2
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 31 p.
- TRT Terms: Boats; Bridges; Infrastructure; Inland waterways; Inland waterways traffic; Inland waterways vessels; Locks (Waterways); Moorings; Recommendations; Recreation; Safety; Small ships; Standardization; Standards; Transmission lines; Waterways
- Identifier Terms: International Navigation Association
- Geographic Terms: Europe; France; Germany; Netherlands; United Kingdom; United States
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Bridges and other structures; Marine Transportation; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00792429
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 2872231153
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 27 2000 12:00AM