UNDERSTANDING THE IMPACT OF TRANSPORTATION ON ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
The interface between transportation investment and economic development has broad ramifications that go beyond transportation's basic purpose of moving goods and people from one place to another. Whereas there is no doubt that transportation is essential in the operation of a market economy, much still needs to be understood about ways in which an efficient transportation system can improve the productivity of the economy. Policymakers not only want to know the effect of transportation on additional economic development; they also want to know the transportation needs of future growth. This paper examines four factors that are important in understanding the relationship between transportation and economic development: relevant type of transportation investment, data necessary to analyze the economic effect of the investment, appropriate methodology to analyze the economic effect, and the proper dissemination of the results and education of professionals as to the economic effects of transportation investment.
- Record URL:
- This paper is available on the CD-ROM, Transportation in the New Millennium: State of the Art and Future Directions, Perspectives from Transportation Research Board Standing Committees. It is also available on the TRB Website. Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved
Washington, DC United States 20418
- Eberts, R
- Publication Date: 2000
- Pagination: 5 p.
- Transportation in the New Millennium
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Economic analysis; Economic development; Economic impacts; Economic policy; Information dissemination; Infrastructure; Investments; Public policy; Transportation; Transportation policy
- Subject Areas: Economics; Society; Transportation (General); I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00783806
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Feb 24 2000 12:00AM