IDENTIFICATION OF UNSAFE DRIVING ACTIONS AND RELATED COUNTERMEASURES
An analysis was made of accident data from a three-county area in North Carolina to identify a set of unsafe driving actions (UDA's) and determine their relative frequencies in accidents. Through field observations at accident locations, frequencies of occurrence were estimated and subsequently used to calculate relative risk factors for a selected group of UDA's (speeding, following too closely, driving left of center, running a traffic control, turning in front of oncoming traffic, and pulling in front of oncoming traffic). The frequencies of traffic citations were estimated for comparison with accident frequency and relative risks to determine any differences in accident causation and police enforcement priorities.
- Record URL:
University of North Carolina, Chapel HillOffice of Driver and Pedestrian Programs
Chapel Hill, NC USA 27514
National Science Foundation1800 G Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20550
- Lohman, L S
- Leggett, E C
- Stewart, J R
- Campbell, B J
- Publication Date: 1976-12
- Pagination: 155 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Behavior; Countermeasures; Crash causes; Crash investigation; Crashes; Driver performance; Drivers; Hazards; Identification systems; Law enforcement; Personnel performance; Risk assessment; Speed; Traffic citations; Traffic violators
- Old TRIS Terms: Identifying
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00169284
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-803-064 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-5-01259
- Files: TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Mar 7 1978 12:00AM