A GUIDEBOOK FOR FORECASTING FREIGHT TRANSPORTATION DEMAND
This report provides reference information on freight transportation planning processes, techniques, tools, data, and applications. The report is organized in a Guidebook format to assist planning practitioners and policy analysts to effectively integrate freight planning and demand forecasting into the broader multimodal transportation planning process. Because freight issues are now major concerns to the state departments of transportation, metropolitan planning organizations, port and airport authorities, rail and trucking providers, shippers, and various federal agencies, this Guidebook will provide much needed assistance to a wide range of practitioners. The appendices of the Guidebook contain useful information concerning factors impacting freight demand; freight demand forecasting studies; freight data sources; descriptions of survey procedures; statistical forecasting techniques; transport cost estimation; modal diversion and descriptions of related models; case studies; and public agency information needs. This Guidebook is intended to support a range of planning including strategic and policy planning, statewide or regional systems planning, and more detailed project-level analyses. It will also serve as a basic educational resource into the components of effective freight planning.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0309060591
- This guidebook was prepared by Cambridge Systematics, Inc., in cooperation with Leeper, Cambridge & Campbell, Inc.; Sydec, Inc.; Thomas M. Corsi; and Curtis M. Grimm.
Washington, DC United States 20001
Cambridge Systematics, Incorporated5225 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, Suite 409
Washington, DC United States 20015
- Publication Date: 1997
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 169 p.
- NCHRP Report
- Issue Number: 388
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0077-5614
- TRT Terms: Demand; Economic forecasting; Freight transportation; Guides to information; Policy analysis; Project management; Regional planning; Regional transportation; States; Strategic planning; Transportation planning
- Old TRIS Terms: Guides; Project analysis; State planning
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Aviation; Economics; Freight Transportation; Highways; Marine Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Railroads; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00736920
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 0309060591
- Report/Paper Numbers: Project 8-30 FY '93
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: May 28 1997 12:00AM