CHARACTERISTICS AND SOLUTIONS RELATED TO BUS TRANSIT ACCIDENTS
Accidents involving buses are a serious highway safety problem, resulting in about 15,000 injuries in the U.S. each year. The objective of the study documented in the report was to describe the bus accident picture and recommend counter-measures. Analyses were carried out on primary study file of 8,897 commercial bus crashes in five states - Illinois, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, and Utah - for 1985 through 1989. A subset file with urban crashes in four states and the entire Illinois motor vehicle accident file with all vehicle types were also analyzed.
- Prepared in cooperation with North Carolina Univ. at Chapel Hill. Sponsored by Department of Transportation, Washington, DC. University Transportation Centers Program.
309 Conference Center Building
Knoxville, TN United States 37996-4133
- Zegeter, C V
- Huang, H F
- Stutts, J C
- Rodgman, E A
- Hummer, J E
- Publication Date: 1993-3
- Pagination: 122 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles by type; Bus crashes; Bus transportation; Crash data; Crashes; Highway safety; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Vehicle type
- Subject Areas: Motor Carriers; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00670223
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Dec 5 1994 12:00AM