CTA AT 45. A HISTORY OF THE FIRST 45 YEARS OF THE CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY
Public passenger transportation by streetcar, bus or rapid transit train in Chicago traces its origins to 1859. It was begun and developed for 88 years by private entrepreneurs who were successful at first, but were ultimately driven out of business by rising costs, changing urban demographics, the competition of automobiles, and unrealistic political control of fares, routes and service. To preserve and improve Chicago's transit, it was decided by referendum that public ownership at arm's length from the political structure would be applied. In 1945, by Act of the General Assembly, the Chicago Transit Authority was created as a political subdivision, body politic and municipal corporation, to acquire, own and operate a transportation system in the metropolitan area of Cook County. Over the years funding and planning problems as well as growing regional bus and rail transit needs have resulted in expanding the public ownership concept and creating some public funding support at the city, state and federal levels. All the while CTA was being fine tuned to meet the challenges of its changing world. This book provides some highlights of this process.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0963796542
- The George Krambles Transit Scholarship Fund (GKTSF) is an Illinois not-for-profit corporation awarding grants to assist men and women in their undergraduate or graduate studies in pursuit of professional careers in transit industry. 'CTA at 45' is a project of an ad hoc editorial and publishing team on behalf of the GKTSF.
George Krambles Transit Scholarship FundP.O. Box 345
Oak Park, IL United States 60303-3845
- Krambles, G
- Peterson, A
- Publication Date: 1993
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 144 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transportation; History; Local government; Nationalization; Ownership; Railroad transportation; Regional transportation
- Identifier Terms: Chicago Transit Authority
- Uncontrolled Terms: Municipal services
- Subject Areas: History; Motor Carriers; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00644053
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Transit Administration
- ISBN: 0963796542
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1994 12:00AM