SAFETY EFFECTIVENESS OF HIGHWAY DESIGN FEATURES. VOLUME III: CROSS SECTIONS
This is the third volume in a series of six publications providing research results on the safety effectiveness of highway design features. This volume discusses relationships between cross-sectional elements and accident experience, along with the accident reductions expected due to related roadway safety improvements. All of the information on crash relationships for lanes, shoulders, and bridges (and corresponding effectiveness information for countermeasures) are for two-lane, rural roads only. Most of the discussion on roadside effects relates to rural two-lane roads, although multilane roads and urban areas are included in some of the discussion (e.g., relating to utility pole accidents and countermeasures). The discussion of median design includes only multilane Interstate and parkway roads in rural areas.
- The Scientex Corporation, the Highway Safety Research Center at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, and Michael Baker, Jr., Inc., have compiled this Compendium under contract with the Federal Highway Administration. The six volumes include: I: Access Control; II: Alignment; III: Cross Sections; IV: Interchanges; V: Intersections; and VI: Pedestrians and Bicyclists.
Federal Highway AdministrationTurner-Fairbank Highway Research Center, 6300 Georgetown Pike
McLean, VA United States 22101
- Zegeer, C V
- Council, F M
- Publication Date: 1992-11
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 27 p.
- TRT Terms: Crashes; Cross sections; Design; Guides to the literature; Highway design; Highway safety; Interstate highways; Literature reviews; Measures of effectiveness; Medians; Parkways; Roadside; Rural highways; Two lane highways
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design features; Effectiveness
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Safety and Human Factors; I21: Planning of Transport Infrastructure; I82: Accidents and Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00626748
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-91-046, NCP 3A5A-0292
- Contract Numbers: DTFH61-89-C-00034
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 4 1993 12:00AM