THE ATLANTA RESEARCH CHAMBER; APPLIED RESEARCH FOR TUNNELS: BLASTING TECHNIQUES CONVENTIONAL SHOTCRETE STEEL-FIBER-REINFORCED SHOTCRETE MONOGRAPHS ON THE STATE-OF-THE-ART OF TUNNELING
This final report describes the construction of the Atlanta Research Chamber (ARC) and the research conducted in it from October 1977 through February 1981. In addition, twenty-four monographs on the state-of-the-art of modern tunnel practice are included in this report. The Urban Mass Transportation Administration (UTMA) funded the ARC as part of the UMTA's continuing effort to discover ways to reduce tunnel and rapid transit costs. This report is organized accordingly: Chapters 1 and 2 present the introduction and a brief overview; Chapter 3 describes the geology of the ARC and onsite stress conditions; Chapter 4 presents the design of the ARC and an evaluation of rock movements expected as the twin Running Tunnels were excavated immediately below the ARC; Chapter 5 discusses the geotechnical instrumentation of the ARC; Chapter 6 discusses excavation by blasting, using a "scribing tool"; Chapter 7 discusses pre-construction laboratory and field work on conventional shotcrete; and Chapter 8 presents a pre-construction study on steel-fiber-reinforced shotcrete. In addition to the chapters on the technical work done in the ARC, this report contains monographs by outstanding experts on the state-of-the-art of tunneling. Also included in this report are the views of owners, contractors, labor union representatives, insurance and legal personnel, and foreign and domestic experts. All have practical application and may serve to promote the common goal to construct underground space economically and safely.
- See also PB-297 574.
Lloyd's of London Press817 Broadway
New York, NY United States 10003
Urban Mass Transportation AdministrationOffice of Tech Development & Deployment, 400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Rose, D
- Publication Date: 1981-3
- Pagination: 535 p.
- TRT Terms: Construction; Contractors; Cost control; Excavation and tunneling; Excavations; Fiber reinforced concrete; Geology; Geophysical prospecting; Insurance; Labor unions; Legal factors; Liability; Metal fibers; Presplitting (Blasting); Rapid transit; Research; Rock mechanics; Rockbolts; Shotcrete; State of the art studies; Stresses; Structural design; Subways; Tunnel lining; Tunnels; Underground structures
- Uncontrolled Terms: Tunnel design
- Geographic Terms: Atlanta (Georgia); Georgia
- Old TRIS Terms: Geophysical surveys; Rapid transit railways; Stress conditions; Subway construction; Underground supporting
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Design; Geotechnology; Highways; Law; Public Transportation; I25: Design of Tunnels; I54: Construction of Tunnels;
- Accession Number: 00343717
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MARTA-GA-06-007 Final Rpt., UMTA-GA-06-0007-81-1
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 28 1982 12:00AM