Ginninderra Bridge bearing replacement
Lake Ginninderra, in Belconnen A.C.T., is spanned by two curved, 185 metre long, post-tensioned concrete box girder bridges forming Ginninderra Drive. These bridges provide the main access for outlying Canberra suburbs to the local business area and the city centre. Due to significant shear deformation of the bridge bearings under creep and shrinkage effects of the superstructure, Aurecon undertook the bridge assessment and detailed design of the bearing replacement for both bridges in 2009, on behalf of Roads ACT. The new bearings were designed to carry the full SM1600 load in accordance with AS5100 Bridge Code to account for the future upgrade of the bridge. This paper discusses the key challenges in designing and implementing a safe and appropriate construction method for the bearing replacement, including the innovative design of jacking platforms. A major achievement of this project was the careful planning undertaken to mitigate effects on traffic flow, by reducing road closures to a maximum of 20 minutes at a time.
- Prelog, M
- Publication Date: 2012-11
- Pagination: 11p
- Monograph Title: A comparison of bore sounding, global stiffness and through compression wave non-destructive testing of Australian hardwood timber bridges
- TRT Terms: Bearings; Bridge management systems; Bridges; Concrete bridges; Construction management
- Geographic Terms: Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
- ATRI Terms: Bearings; Bridge maintenance; Concrete bridge; Maintenance method; Replacement
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures;
- Accession Number: 01472939
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB Group Ltd.
- Files: ATRI
- Created Date: Feb 19 2013 10:19AM