AN EVALUATION OF THE IMPACTS OF ITS/CVO TECHNOLOGIES ON SAFETY AND THE ASSOCIATED BENEFITS THROUGHOUT THE SUPPLY CHAIN
The trucking industry is extremely competitive. Companies must vie for business through both lower rates, and more importantly, superior service. One potential strategy for a motor carrier company to better their service offering is through investment in technology. However, commercial vehicle companies are in a precarious position. They realize that they need to invest in technology to remain competitive, but are unsure which innovations will give them the desired results. Because of the potential benefits for both the general public and the commercial vehicle industry of improving safety, the overall goal of this project is to identify those technologies that have had a positive impact on the safety of motor carrier companies, and to measure this impact. This Phase I report contains a brief description of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and ITS technologies for Commercial Vehicle Operations (ITS/CVO). It discuses previous literature regarding benefits of ITS/CVO for motor carriers, as well as managing the change due to technology. The possible use of transportation-inventory models as a method to examine benefits is explored. Finally, this methodology is illustrated with a case study analysis which reveals potential savings to both the company and their customers.
- Record URL:
Fargo, ND United States 58108
- Lantz, B M
- Publication Date: 2000-8
- Features: References; Tables;
- Pagination: 42 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefits; Case studies; Commercial vehicle operations; Customers; Evaluation; Impacts; Intelligent transportation systems; Inventory; Investments; Literature reviews; Motor carriers; Supply chain management; Technology; Trucking; Trucking safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation-inventory models
- Subject Areas: Economics; Freight Transportation; Highways; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management; Society; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00811888
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: MPC Report No. 01-117A
- Files: NTL, TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 22 2001 12:00AM