FIELD INVESTIGATION OF A STRENGTHENED TIMBER TRESTLE RAILROAD BRIDGE.
A three-span, open deck timber trestle railroad bridge had been previously field load tested. The prior testing program was done in cooperation with the Transportation Technology Center, Inc., a subsidiary of the Association of American Railroads. The bridge was subjected to static and moving train loads as well as controlled actuator ramp loading. The bridge was later strengthened by the addition of helper stringers. The bridge was load tested again by moving train loads. Comparisons of the stiffness of the bridge were made before and after the strengthening. The efficiency of the helper stringers was between 82 percent and 97 percent. Load sharing among stringers was determined empirically. No pattern of load sharing among them could be identified but individual stringers carried up to 9 percent more load share than in an equal load sharing distribution. The transient displacement responses showed predominantly no dynamic impact effect, but isolated increases of 6-10 percent were observed.
- Record URL:
- Record URL:
- X, 54 P.: ILL., CHARTS; INCLUDES BIBLIOGRAPHICAL REFERENCES (P. 53-54). MOUNTAIN PLAINS CONSORTIUM. UNIVERSITY TRANSPORTATION CENTERS PROGRAM (U.S.) COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY. THE MOUNTAIN-PLAINS CONSORTIUM CONSISTS OF COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY, NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY, UNIVERSITY OF UTAH, UNIVERSITY OF WYOMING). PERFORMED BY COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY DEPT. OF CIVIL ENGINEERING. SPONSORED BY THE U.S. DEPT. OF TRANSPORTATION UNIVERSITY TRANSPORTATION CENTERS PROGRAM. "JUNE 2003."
Fargo, ND United States 58108
- Gutkowski, Richard M
- SHIGIDI, ABDALLA M T
- TRAN, A N
- Publication Date: 2003
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Issue Number: NO. 03-147
- TRT Terms: Evaluation; Railroad bridges; Wooden bridges
- Geographic Terms: Colorado
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Planning and Forecasting;
- Accession Number: 00950561
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: UC Berkeley Transportation Library
- Report/Paper Numbers: MPC-03-147
- Files: TLIB, NTL
- Created Date: Aug 6 2003 12:00AM