CYCLIC LATERAL LOADING OF A MODEL PILE GROUP IN CLAY SOIL. PHASE 2A
The purpose of this research project was to design and build a model pile group according to similitude parameters and test it under cyclic lateral loading conditions to obtain data that will expand the knowledge on the behavior of pile groups when subjected to cyclic lateral loads. Detailed descriptions are given regarding design and construction of the instrumented model piles, other instrumentation, and the data acquisition system. Step-by-step procedures are given for calibration of all instrumentation as well as for the testing setup and procedure. Great detail is used in covering these topics in the event that some of this effort must be duplicated in the future. Results covering four types of test output are explained and discussed, as are comparisons of the test output with predictions made using computer software.
- Record URL:
- Record URL:
- Also on the cover: A Center of Excellence for Rural and Intermodal Transportation.
Fargo, ND United States 58108
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Caliendo, J A
- Anderson, L R
- Rawlings, M A
- Publication Date: 1999-2
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References;
- Pagination: 124 p.
- TRT Terms: Calibration; Clay soils; Construction; Design; Foundation engineering; Foundation soils; Lateral supports; Load limits; Pile foundations
- Subject Areas: Construction; Design; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00765377
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: MPC Report No. 99-99A
- Files: UTC, NTL, TRIS, ATRI, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 20 1999 12:00AM