RURAL ROAD DESIGN, MAINTENANCE, AND REHABILITATION GUIDE
This Guide was developed to provide the counties of South Dakota with an established, uniform set of guidelines for the design, maintenance, and rehabilitation of rural roads. The guidelines address items such as roadway geometry (horizontal and vertical), typical roadway surface types, roadway surface design and repair, subgrade soils, and trench backfilling. The geometric-related guidelines are adapted from the South Dakota Department of Transportation's "Secondary & Off-System Road Plan" and the 1990 American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) manual, "A Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets". The geometry guidelines address design speed, roadway width, vertical grades, stopping sight distance, curvature, cross slope, superelevation, right-of-way (ROW) width, vertical clearance, and ditch slopes. The roadway surface-related guidelines pertain to the design, maintenance, and rehabilitation of the four types of roadway surfaces typically constructed on South Dakota's rural roads--gravel, blotter (chip seal), asphalt concrete, and portland cement concrete. The guidelines describe the primary design and performance characteristics of each surface type, provide design thicknesses, identify various repair techniques, and discuss the applicability of each technique. In addition, guidelines for the inspection and testing of materials and construction activities are discussed.
- Record URL:
- This Guide is part of a three-document series. The other two documents are "Rural Road Condition Survey Guide" (SD95-16-G1) and "Rural Road Management Guide" (SD95-16-G3).
ERES Consultants, Incorporated505 West University Avenue
Champaign, IL United States 61820-3915
South Dakota Department of TransportationOffice of Research, 700 East Broadway Avenue
Pierre, SD United States 57501-2586
- Beckemeyer, C A
- McPeak, T J
- Publication Date: 1995-9-22
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 90 p.
- TRT Terms: Chip seals; Driver rehabilitation; Flexible pavements; Geometric design; Gravel roads; Guides to information; Highway design; Highway maintenance; Inspection; Rigid pavements; Rural highways; Subgrade (Pavements); Testing; Trench backfill
- Uncontrolled Terms: Rehabilitation
- Old TRIS Terms: Guides
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Pavements; I22: Design of Pavements, Railways and Guideways; I23: Properties of Road Surfaces; I61: Equipment and Maintenance Methods;
- Accession Number: 00725646
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SD95-16-G2
- Contract Numbers: 310348
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 24 1996 12:00AM