EFFECTS OF FREEZE-THAW AND OVERLOAD CONDITIONS ON THE RESILIENT MODULUS OF FROST-SUSCEPTIBLE SOILS
The primary objective of this study was to investigate the effects of freeze-thaw conditioning and overloading on the resilient modulus (M sub r) of subgrade soils susceptible to frost penetration. The M sub r values of conditioned samples were compared to unconditioned samples. All M sub r values were determined in accordance with AASHTO T 274 test procedure. The report is organized in six chapters. Chapter I is an Introduction. Chapter II describes the freeze-thaw process and moisture imbibition of soils and the effects of overloading on subgrade materials. Use of spring overload restrictions throughout local states and methods of working with frost-susceptible soils in new construction are also covered. Chapter III describes the basic resilient modulus test and how it is used in the AASHTO pavement design procedure. The M sub r testing setup at the University of Wyoming is also discussed. Chapter IV details the soil collection, sample construction, conditioning and testing procedure used in this study. Chapter V discusses the results of the testing regime. Correlations between freeze-thaw and imbibition-only conditioning are also presented. Overloading effects and a comparison between the AASHTO T 274 and the Asphalt Institute testing sequences are also discussed. Chapter V also discusses the limitations of the AASHTO T 274 test. Chapter VI summarizes the study and suggests recommendations for future research.
- Record URL:
- This study was conducted at the Department of Civil and Architectural Engineering of the University of Wyoming, P.O. Box 3295, Laramia, Wyoming 82071-3295, and was funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation's University Transportation Centers Program.
Fargo, ND United States 58108
- Skaggs, R B
- Edgar, T V
- Publication Date: 1992-5
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 142 p.
- TRT Terms: Freeze thaw durability; Frost susceptible soil; Future; Laboratory tests; Load limits; Modulus of resilience; Oversize loads; Recommendations; Research; Sampling; Soils; Subgrade (Pavements); Test procedures; Thaw
- Uncontrolled Terms: Future research; Overloads; Spring breakup
- Old TRIS Terms: Aashto t 274 test; Freezing thawing effects; Moisture imbibition; Soil sampling
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Research; I42: Soil Mechanics;
- Accession Number: 00639876
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: MPC Report No. 92-8
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 30 1993 12:00AM