RURAL AND SPECIALIZED TRANSPORTATION: A PRELIMINARY DIRECTORY OF OPERATORS

This directory, the preliminary product of an UMTA-funded project, identifies agencies funded by the 50 states as Section 18 and 16(b)(2) projects. There is also a brief analysis of the system characteristics of 1456 agencies, including 481 Section 18 projects and 975 Section 16 (b)(2) projects. The total roster includes 4339 listings for agencies receiving UMTA funding with 1018 currently funded under Section 18 and 3321 under 16(b)(2). Current data shows that 76 percent of the recipients are private agencies and only one percent are nonprofits. The remaining 24 percent indicate that they are government units. A small share of these agencies do not provide any transportation service directly but contract with other agencies which are actual providers. The average Section 18 operator has a fleet of 13 vehicles to provide 177,000 oneway trips annually while the Section 16 provider has only 6 vehicles and reports a total of 34,000 trips. Extrapolation shows that all agencies providing rural and specialized transportation provide over 286 million oneway trips annually and carry more than 8 million riders.

  • Corporate Authors:

    Rural America

    1312 18th Street, NW
    Washington, DC  United States  20036

    Urban Mass Transportation Administration

    Office of Grants Management, 400 7th Street, SW
    Washington, DC  United States  20590
  • Publication Date: 1985-9

Media Info

  • Pagination: 361 p.

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00454971
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Files: TRIS, USDOT
  • Created Date: May 31 1988 12:00AM