Cobar private rail network long term performance of a pioneering track structure

Cobar is one of the oldest established mining regions in New South Wales with continuous mining in the area since 1871. The railway line was opened to Cobar in 1892 as a branch line connecting from the Main Western Line at Nyngan. The whole area and operation is full of unsung heroes who work tirelessly to keep the ore flowing out for export. The private railway infrastructure managed by Plateway starts at 754.7 km just west of Cobar Station and extends to 797.3 km at Elura (now Endeavor Mine). This was constructed in two portions, the first 10 km has 90 lbs/yard rail which was jointed and connected the line from Cobar to CSA Mine. At the time of construction the Elura extension line between Nyngan and Cobar consisted of 60lbs/yard rail with no upgrade planned, despite the line being one of the most heavily used class 5 line in the state and not reliant on seasonal traffic. So the designers obtained an exemption from the then SRA of NSW minimum requirement to use 41 kg/m rail and used continuously welded 31 kg/m rail rolled in Port Kembla. Both portions have steel sleepers with resilient fasteners.

Media Info

  • Pagination: 10p. ; PDF
  • Monograph Title: Permanent Way Institution (PWI) NSW, 2016 annual convention

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 01636949
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: ARRB
  • Files: ATRI
  • Created Date: May 30 2017 3:33PM